The News Site of The 223 Eagles

The News Site of The 223 Eagles

The News Site of The 223 Eagles

The News Site of The 223 Eagles

The News Site of The 223 Eagles

The Impact Of Big Picture Learning On 223

Students from the Laboratory School of Finance and Technology (HS 223) and other schools in the Bronx, attended a program called The FAQ Fall Convening Big Picture Learning” on the 2 and 3 November 2023. On November 2 students and teachers or employers of different schools and HS 223 went to other schools such as Fannie Lou Hamer High school (FLHHS) , South Bronx community charter, Bronx international school. On November 3 “Leaving to learn” This means that on November third each different school will participate in the Big Picture Learning of year 2023-2024. In a way that will permit each person of the program to embark and learn on a leaving-to-learn experience at several different schools. The sites each person of different schools visited are Cooper Union (Manhattan, Ghetto Film School, The New York Botanical Garden. When students and adults from different schools went to these sites they learned new things they did not know the Bronx had, such as internships, opportunities and other good resources.  

“The Fall convening’s final segment will bring together over 50 attendees at our Hub space for a collective session focused on reflection, sharing insights, and strategic planning to apply their learning in their schools. This session will feature a “fishbowl” activity, where both youth and adults openly discuss their experiences and insights from the convening.” This quote said that this  session permitted students to share their ideas, questions, and what they have learned throughout the 2 days at Big Picture Learning. The purpose of this event was to observe how the schools they visited are as a school community and how these schools put real world learning into action at their school.  “The Big Picture Learning is a Fall Convening of the New York Internship Pathway

Initiative (NYIP)”  It said that  Big picture learning is a program that gives the opportunity for students to participate in real-world experience and permit them to share and gain their interest and  ideas to the school community (principal, teacher, counselor). During this event , educators work with students and employers in order to improve the relationship between the community.  It’s a program that have the goal to “activate the potential of school, systems and education though student driven real world learning”

It means that students from different schools went to other schools in order to gain different ideas that the school they are visiting have and bring it to their school in order to improve the school.  “We want to increase the number of students that  work in it because students enjoy it and they benefit from it,” Ms.Haines said. “Big Picture students intern–often twice a week for an entire school day-with experts in their field of interest, completing authentic projects and gaining experience and exposure to how they  intersect with the real world.”  It means this opportunity allows students and adults such as the principal, teacher, and staff to be more connected to each other, share ideas and make connections. Learn from each other because each of them have something to say to make their school and community better. At the event  when everyone participating in real world learning got together, they got to learn new things from each other as teacher,

staff adult and from student too.

For our school Big Picture Learning benefits us because by that we have “someone who connects us to other schools, helps us make decisions and connections and opportunities for our students, and shares acknowledgements to the school about the program.” Brandon Slaughter loves it and he mentions how “it helps get connected to other schools and helps bring ideas and what we can do for our students.” Ms Haines said. The program made students feel touched, impressed and made them start to appreciate how the little things they do at their school and  other schools show a deeper value than they even have thought about. The students who have participated in this program learn so many things they didn’t know such as having better growth mindset, an open mind of what their community has to offer for them and the need to appreciate it because “their voice is what matters the most” Mr Joshua said

In short Big Picture Learning values student voice and believes their insights will “enrich our real-world learning practices For people like Mr Joshua Frahm, Mr Jeff Palladino, Mr Lincoln , Ms Haines and students, they have brought everyone together and become one.