The News Site of The 223 Eagles

The News Site of The 223 Eagles

The News Site of The 223 Eagles

The News Site of The 223 Eagles

The News Site of The 223 Eagles

Bronx Zoo Expedition

Bronx Zoo Expedition

On Monday October 16, 2023 the class of 2027 took upon their first trip of the year! They went to the Bronx Zoo in advisory groups to discover different careers and animals.

Mrs. Devore, an economics teacher and advisory teacher states “I would rate the experience a 8/10, I really enjoyed it, we had beautiful weather, my group got to see all the animals on the assignment, I would love if we had a little bit more time just to relax at the zoo and students to have more freedom to see the animals they wanted to at the zoo.”

Students were supposed to name 5 different job careers that are important to the zoo, they named zookeepers, gardeners, security, repairers and even people selling tickets!

Jared Henriquez ‘27, a freshman who went on the trip says, “My favorite part was the giraffes because they were near ostriches. I saw many careers but I was more interested in security guards as they are more easygoing and don’t really have to deal with animals. The trip overall was kinda childish since the Bronx Zoo is more for elementary schools but it was nice because of the views and teachers as our guides” 

The hope is that in the future students will get inspiration and figure out if they want to pursue a career in the zoo and find it fun and interesting. It’s also one of many possible careers They could be interested in as some students that are in HS223 are actually working in the Bronx Zoo!

Giovanni Galindo ‘27, a freshman who went to the zoo says “ It was pretty tiring from the amount we had to walk but overall it was pretty good because you get to hang out with your friends and see a lot of animals which were interesting , I saw vultures, I saw bears, I also saw cockroaches which I didn’t really like, the vulture interested me since when we came they were eating their prey(rats) and one of the careers that interested me would be the zookeepers as they take care of the animals but for the career in general I would say I would keep it in mind.”

But overall, it was fun.

Ms. Hernandez, another advisory teacher and trip coordinator says “I was the person who was in contact with the  Bronx Zoo for us to have this trip planned, I basically connected with the Bronx Zoo to make sure we can bring all our students and I was one of the chaperones to one of the 9th grade groups on the trip.

The Bronx Zoo is beautiful not just because of the animals but because it’s so full of nature and I don’t think we appreciate how people actually have to take care of nature to sustain its excellence.

If one thing’s for sure, we love the Bronx Zoo.