The News Site of The 223 Eagles

The News Site of The 223 Eagles

The News Site of The 223 Eagles

The News Site of The 223 Eagles

The News Site of The 223 Eagles

The Newest Assistant Principal For Middle School!

Mellisa Piccinonno was born in Brooklyn to an Italian father and a Puerto Rican mother. Our interim AP comes from a humble background with eagerness to learn. Transitioning into this new environment she has had to adjust to our 223 community, and says she knew she was entering our community as a “learner.” Bringing all of her leadership skills to the table which she has gained through being an RA at Stony Brook during her undergrad, but also keeping in mind that this is a new setting more specifically a new setting as an assistance principle, which is a pretty big deal. At Stony Brook, Piccinonno double majored in English and Spanish, she recalls that, “Spanish was spoken in my household but I didn’t know how to read and write, so I majored in Spanish.” She completed an extension for teaching which led her into a career of twelve years so far in education. 

Before 223 Piccinonno worked for about five years at Passages academy, a DOE school that services incarcerated teens. She expresses multiple times that her heart is in that community and would like for her work to take her back. However, working within that environment did not allow her to have experience in areas such as commuting with parents or experience in the teaching realm. Her advisors suggested she should move on from Passages Academy to other schools and environments that will allow her to gain more experiences that will later and have benefited her now. Piccinonno moved on to a middle school where she built connections with parents, and found herself becoming accustomed to a traditional academic setting. 

When asked “Why teaching?” Ms.P did not think twice about her answer. Piccinonno stated, “I believe it’s my vocation, I never considered anything else. From the time I could conceptualize a career, teaching was always it.” If anything that’s inspiring. 223 is blessed with having so many staff members that got into teaching after years of work in other careers, however, there’s a beauty in also being surrounded by people who always knew teaching was their calling. Being an older sister and having a plethora of role models that surrounded her is what helped Paccinonno develop good leadership skills while having an authoritative aura. 

Something to note, Ms.P currently works closer with the middle school then without the high school students (even though she is located on the second floor). This is due to Mr. Lincoln’s transition into being principal, and leaving more of an open spot for an assistant principal for the middle school. 

Ms.P is as bright as her smile, and is ready and has been building such amazing relationships thus far.