The News Site of The 223 Eagles

The News Site of The 223 Eagles

The News Site of The 223 Eagles

The News Site of The 223 Eagles

The News Site of The 223 Eagles

The Return Of the Bookfair

The Return Of the Bookfair

It ‘s finally here!

Throughout November 2nd to the 3rd, the Scholastic Book Fair will once again return to the library at HS223.

And this year looks to be the best yet.

I had the pleasure of interviewing Ms. Haines and Mr. Ohl about the Scholastic Book Fair. 

When talking to Ms. Haines, the school’s head of literacy, I understood what the Book Fair will look like. The book fair happens twice every year, usually around the same time, the beginning of November for the first one and around the first week of May. Of course, the book fair is made possible because of the collaboration between our school, HS/MS 223, and Scholastic which is more than a decade old. Scholastic offers many recent favorites.

If you are waiting until Christmas to get Spiderman 2 on the PS5, maybe a Spiderman comic will be able to scratch your itch until then. Haven’t watched the new Five Nights at Freddy movie? Get yourself one of the graphic novels. Manga fan? Stop by and see the selection of manga’s Scholastic offers. They even have classics like The Diary of a Wimpy Kid and posters. According to Ms. Haines herself, there will even be free books included in the selection, so even if the Book Fair caught you off guard this time don’t worry you can pass by and see for yourself Scholastics offers on free books. For those still in Middle School remembering about stopping by should be that difficult given that you would be taken by your teachers on a specific period. For high school students, you can always stop by the library during your lunch period to get a look at what’s new. If you miss it the first day, don’t worry there will be a second, if you miss the second, there’s always a third. 

On November 4, 2023, parents can buy and get 5 books for free for their children or themselves after the parent meeting as an effort of the school to spread literacy.

I can confirm from Mr. Ohl, a senior staff member, that school bucks are a thing. With the help of, generous donations from teachers and staff members students can buy books with school books. 

Mr Ohl has also confirmed that there will be Spanish and English books.

approximately 10-year partnership

The Scholastic Book Fair, which started back in 1981, has allowed millions of children around the world to discover news books. The largest children’s book publisher, Scholastic Fair has partnered with the school to gather up cash and “educational resources” which would then be returned back to the school communities, prioritizing those in underprivileged places – as per Scholastic Fair.

“I love seeing students get excited and talking to each other about the different books, genres and different things that we offer,”  Ms. Haines emphasizes. 

If you haven’t heard from your English teachers yet, tell your parents to be on the lookout for an email.