The News Site of The 223 Eagles

The News Site of The 223 Eagles

The News Site of The 223 Eagles

The News Site of The 223 Eagles

The News Site of The 223 Eagles

In October we wear pink.

On Wednesday, October 25th, the senior student council made it possible for the entire high school to wear pink to support Breast Cancer Awareness Month. 

Kennedy Betances ‘24, one of the seniors responsible for the planning, said “Actually I think it’s nice for everyone to dress down for Breast Cancer Awareness Month, originally we were going to support our middle schoolers with the play “Mean Girls” they’re doing but we decided that Breast Cancer Awareness was a way better reason and technically we would still be wearing pink to support our middle schoolers.” 

Amongst the students, dress down days are actually really popular at MS/HS223, but it’s hard to pass by administration. Students often express a high demand for dress down days throughout the year. However, they are often rejected and not considered. They’re supposed to have a dress down day every marking period! 

Many seniors try to brainstorm different ideas that will encourage the rest of the high schoolers to dress down, but they don’t have enough time. They instead have to use their own personal time. Instead of using a study hall period or even using their advisory as a study hall, they have to take time out of their lunch. 

Addy Martinez ‘24, a member of the 12th grade student council says “I personally don’t really care, I do waste my lunch time but only on Wednesdays but I’m fine with it because even though they might not appreciate my efforts, like the students that are not part of student council, I know that I’m doing all of this because it’s my senior year and I really wanna have fun and I just don’t want things to be like work work work and I just don’t mind because I feel like it’s a good sacrifice, it’s worth it.” 

Others might agree or disagree but in order to make events/activities happen at MS/HS223, we have to make sacrifices that some of us don’t like but will do for the community. Fortunately, these sacrifices are worth it because they bring joy and positivity to our school community.